Building Permit General Information and Application Forms
For answers to questions regarding the building permit application process or requirements, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer at 352-7411 x 105 or by email at email@example.com.
What requires a building permit?
- New construction, including additions, remodeling and repairs; any structural changes to interior or exterior.
- Construction of any detached structures over 200 s.f. with single floor. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
- Change of occupancy of any structure or part thereof.
- Demolition of any detached structure or part thereof over 200 s.f. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
- New or replacement or addition to any heating, air conditioning, plumbing or electrical system.
What does not require a building permit?
- Minor, non-structural repairs.
- Re-siding, re-roofing.
- Gutters, drainpipes, and fences under 72 inches and retaining walls under 4 feet.
- Sidewalks and driveways (a driveway does require a driveway permit from the Director of Public Works).
- Cabinets, counter-tops, floor coverings, paint & paper.
- Pools less then 24 inches deep.
- Playground equipment.
- Decks not exceeding 200 s.f. in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve an exit door.
If you’re not sure whether a permit is necessary, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer.
State building code separates the application process into residential and non-residential uses. Please submit the appropriate information on the application form.
The Town of Swanzey prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, marital or family status. The Town of Swanzey is an equal opportunity employer. Web site copyright 2010. All rights reserved.